Susan Harlander, PhD has worked with the food industry for over 30 years. Prior to joining Land O’Lakes as Director of R&D and The Pillsbury Company as VP Green Giant R&D and Agricultural Research, Susan was Associate Professor of Food Microbiology at the University of Minnesota. She has over 110 publications and has served on numerous federal government committees for FDA, USDA, and the National Research Council. Susan is focused on food safety aspects and helping team members and consumers understand food better, from farm to fork!
- More than 35 years experience in food science and the food industry.
- Former University of Minnesota professor of food microbiology and biotechnology with extensive research, publications and public outreach.
- Served on U.S. FDA’s Science Board, along with numerous other FDA, USDA, NIH, NSF, NAS, NRC, and IOM advisory boards.
- Senior R&D leadership positions at Land O’Lakes and The Pillsbury company.
- Principal of BTSafety and co-developer of risk assessment models on intentional food contamination for FDA and DHS.
- Fellow of the Institute of Food Technologists.
- Extensive experience in managing agricultural research programs for marker assisted plant breeding, chemical use optimization and seed variety selection.